Monday 15 July 2013

If you don't see me on the block I ain't tryna hide, I blend in with the hood, I'm camouflaged


One of my favourite Lil Wayne features..back when he was younger with less tattoos and better lyrics..post Carter III he's just sh*t. So anyway this whole post came out of a dress I saw on Zara; this camouflage dress to be exact which can be bought here:


I don't really know why I like this dress - muted colour scheme, oversized cut loose fit, cute back detail - probably because its just different without being in your face...standard casual camo prints, if they're the wrong shade of green, can actually look nasty as hell and I think very few people look good wearing the print. In fact pretty much one of the only people I think rocks camo print effortlessly is the Weeknd:





Everyone knows that Abel is one of the most reclusive artists out there, so when he agreed to an interview with Complex I knew it'd be EPIC...having peeped it today I was right. The way he opened the interview was deep - he gave his reasons for not wanting to do an interview before now as:

 "I felt like I had nothing to say. I still feel I have nothing to say. I’m the most boring person to talk to." 

Judging from the content of his lyrics and his production it's probably so far from the truth it's laughable and yet up until now, he's definitely hidden a lot of his life from his fans, to our frustration. But once you read the interview you'll clock why; when asked whether the mystery that surrounds him is intentional he replied: 

"Yes and no. In the beginning, I was very insecure. I hated how I looked in pictures. I just fucking hated this shit, like, crop me out of this picture right now. I was very camera shy. People like hot girls, so I put my music to hot girls and it just became a trend. The whole “enigmatic artist” thing, I just ran with it. No one could find pictures of me. It reminded me of some villain shit." 

Read the rest of the interview here and try and tell me you're not amazed by the mindset this guy is in. After finishing the interview I had a 3 hour long session of pure Weeknd music...reminds me of why I bothered to read the interview in the first place.



So anyway back to the whole camo trend - when I checked out the Valentino exhibition at Somerset House a few months back there was this one chiffon camouflage print evening dress that I remember (picture above doesn't really do it justice). Considering this was designed for AW in 1995, I always find it strange that more than a decade on we're still reinterpreting the same trends. I won't lie I doubt I'd ever wear this myself but I can imagine someone like Rihanna wearing this..though she would look good in any outfit, however disgusting. Having scoured the whole Valentino website I realised that camo has been a big thing for the house, they have a whole collection of accessories dedicated to the print. I actually am surprised at how nice they are...the ballerina flats need to be mine!








No comments:

Post a Comment