Tuesday 30 July 2013

You gotta love Paris, shorty fine I see a future in her face...



It never surprises me when people ask "Ryan Leslie - who?". Though he's been around for a while now, his talents as an artist are still relatively unrecognised. I know he'll never be one of the greatest but if we were to judge on pure talent, he has a lot more going for him than a lot of successful artists today. He's another artist that should have made it big, but never did. His production on Fly Together with Red Cafe and Birdman is proof, and if that fails to convince than his production on Cassie's Me & U is concrete evidence.


Cassie is undeniably beautiful, those who doubt her beauty are haters. But talent wise she falls flat...her vocals are mediocre at best and her rare live performances were beyond crap. So when she made the switch from NextSelection with Leslie to Bad Boy with Diddy I was confused. Diddy's label has a reputation for signing artists which never really make it - bar BIG - and despite being signed to the label for 7 years Cassie has yet to release another album. She's never stopped claiming that it's 'coming soon'.

In short, she made a big mistake career wise. But I guess it doesn't matter when you factor in her relationship with Diddy..she is the definition of official side chick. Everyone knows the two are together and yet Diddy has failed to confirm their relationship up until now - how Cassie is okay with this lack of confirmation I'll never know, maybe his ridiculous amounts of money help soften the blow, maybe it's true love - f*ck knows. All I know is, she'll never do as well with Diddy as she did with Leslie...meh at least she has her looks. I can't even lie her latest singles off her mixtape are bangers - solely because of the instrumental; after all this time her vocals still haven't improved.


I fell in love with Leslie's Beautiful Lie video purely because it was shot in Paris. Since I was little, the French capital has always seemed to epitomise glamour and elegance and my childish dream of one day settling in the city still exists today. When I flicked through pictures the Love Ball 2013 I realised the opulence I associated with Paris extended to the entirety of France. Held at the Opera de Monte-Carlo by Natalia Vodianova, the lots included a sitting with Mario Testino and an internship at Chanel with Karl Lagerfeld. I am officially jealous. The interior of the venue amplified my jealousy; put simply, it is beautiful!




I know that for some, the ridiculous amounts of gold leaf plastered around the theatre will prove overwhelming and downright gaudy, but I love it! Too much of a good thing is never good but I suppose this is an exception to the rule...the completely gilded interior conjures up mental images of a magical never-land for me, it looks like the kind of place that doesn't belong in reality and only in people's imaginations. As a colour, many people shy away from gold but I've loved it since I was little. I've always had an affinity for metallics but being Asian, I think the cool tones of silver and gunmetal wash my brown skin out, so I stick to gold. 

When I came across this gold leather skirt on the Zara website, safe to say I fell in love instantly. 70 quid is a lot but when it comes to leather - and metallic leather at that - I'd say it's reasonable. True, it won't be to everyone's taste and I suspect that a lot of people wouldn't have a clue of what to pair it with but for me...it's beaut. 


The last instance of a successful outfit that included a gold skirt I remember was probably Blake Lively's head to toe Gucci look, where she paired a gold pleated mini skirt with a cream shirt complete with a flower brooch. I don't really get the green Casadei pumps she's chosen but they're not completely offensive so...meh. Same goes for her hair but that ugly brooch needs to go. But I really like the outfit as a whole, the simple shirt works really well with the metallic lower half and makes her almost glow. But I definitely prefer the cut of the Zara skirt - the simple pencil skirt cut serves to highlight the slightly more silvery-gold tone of the metallic leather.


Black and gold is a traditional colour combination and I think this skirt would translate well across seasons, working with dark sweats and jumpers in the winter but considering it's still summer I reckon I would pair this with a white top like Blake. But considering the sharp silhouette of the pencil skirt I'd steer clear of an office look and choose a cute crop top like the one below from Topshop, which can be found here. Excuse the bad photoshop job but I guess this is kinda what the outfit would look like, complete with this turquoise necklace from Miss Selfridge. In real life I think the skirt would translate even better...I can't wait to get back to London and see it in store!



Because the high street is still showing SS collections it's pretty much impossible to show any possible AW outfits but I just peeped a denim shirt/gold skirt outfit on the Balmain runway which I thought was casual yet still dressy, contradictory I know but...whatever the overall look was still sexy as hell. Now I have to try and find 70 quid to actually go out and buy this skirt...meh. 



No comments:

Post a Comment