Friday 12 July 2013

We can dance if you want...



It always surprises me how many people sleep on this song but it's actually one of my favourites by Brandy. With the weather fixing to become cold and overcast again, I thought this perfectly described the mood I'm in right about now. Truth be told, I'm actually one of the few strange people that prefer the winter weather anyway...I think it matches my personality - I'm not really a sunshine and light kind of person, and I think that translates into everything I like...music, clothes, people's personalities - they're all just better when there's a dark undertone. That's how I feel about the Bottega Veneta AW13-14 collection..it's definitely a different direction for the brand.

So I just saw this ad campaign for the new collection, and I need this coat in my life. As much as I love winter, it's a pain in the ass because no matter how nice your clothes are no one can see them because you've always got a coat on top. Pain. And I don't like wearing the same coat 24/7 that's just boring. But see, this coat is IT for me. The colour, the exaggerated shoulders and hips, the cut, the architectural structure of the whole thing...beautiful! It's like it was designed for a modern day Red Riding Hood or something. Oh and the back is equally as impressive - I always hate it when detail is always focused on either the front or back - hell I want both! Though the aesthetic of this collection is very different, Maier has definitely not compromised on the level of detail of each garment...it's crazy how much love and attention has been poured into this coat.

The rest of the collection was equally impressive...not for the faint hearted by any means, the silhouettes were very architectural, with flat square shoulders and skirts with pleats folding outwards. The colours were dark or vibrant: black and charcoal grey were broke up with moments of crimson and yellow. Known for its leather goods traditionally, this Veneta collection actually showcased a variety of materials - from wools to leather to silk to satin to straw. If this collection were a man, it'd be one after my own heart.




Aside from the red coat I'm obsessing over, another stand-out piece for me was the gorgeous cognac wool dress with the ruffle detailing on the hips...perfect for autumn! I've looked everywhere for a similar red coat but in this case at least...you definitely get what you pay for. I can't find anything with any of the sculptural details that make this Veneta coat amazing but I did manage to find an Asos coat that was similarly striking...




So this version is definitely a more oversized boyfriend coat, which for me is an equally beautiful silhouette - it's always big in AW collections. But it's the same tomato red colour as the Veneta coat, and I think that's what makes it so nice..the addition of the black buttons is also a nice touch! Okay so it does cost a bit..£120 is no joke when you're on a student budget like me but I tell myself that's very reasonable for a good quality coat and plus I get 10% off. I know I'll be getting a lot of wear out of this come Autumn! This coat can be bought here on the Asos site.

2 comments: